Origins of the Town
At the headwaters of the Big Piney River, in the Ozark valley, a city named Cabool was founded in 1878. The city is one of many which sprang up along the Kansas City, Fort Scott, and Memphis railways. By 1883, the first houses and businesses were built and a year later it was incorporated as a town. The major commercial trade was lumber and this industry led to the growth of seven water mills in the area.
The name Cabool was coined by Ralph Walker, a surveyor employed by the Frisco Railroad. The scenery reminded him of the town of Kabul, which is in Afghanistan, where he had served with the British military forces. Cabool is the English spelling of Kabul and is the only city in the world with this particular spelling.
Some believe there is a legend behind the name Cabool. The poem Legend of Cabool was written by Tug Wilson and Ben Durnell in 1903. The poem tells the story of an Indian chief named Cabool and his star-crossed lover who meet a tragic end.
A brief Overview
Today Cabool sits at the heart of dairy country and is known as the deer capital of Missouri and the gateway to the Old Ozark Water Mill Trail. Highways 60 and 63 intersect in Cabool, making it a prime location for commuters. The city is located a few miles from the Mark Twain National Forest and the Ozark National Scenic Riverways.
The Cabool History Society runs the Cabool History Museum which is located at the Bauch House.